Back in early November, there was a weekend that I was supposed to be away at my in-law's house. The day before we were supposed to leave, Hayden came down with strep throat, and although he probably would have been okay to go, we didn't want to chance getting Quoc's mom sick since she was leaving the following week to go to Vietnam for a month. So since we were in town, I decided to help out at a "quilt-a-thon" that was going on in our neighborhood. I don't sew very much, but I do own a machine and know basically how it works, so I thought I would give it a shot. These ladies were making quilts for some of our soldiers in Afghanistan, so it was good cause. Well, that day, I made two whole quilt tops! It took me most of the day, but it was really easy - the lady running the show had these kits with instructions and the fabric pieces already cut. So after that day, and having that feeling of "Hey - I can do this!" I decided that I wanted to make some of my own as Christmas gifts. Here are my first two quilts ever:
My niece, Fallon's, quilt
My niece, Fallon's, quilt

My other niece, Faith's, quilt

I think they turned out pretty well, considering I waited until the last minute and did them both in less than a week. They LOVED them. I had called my sister to see what their favorite colors were, and if you know my nieces at all, they are very much their style. Fallon is very into Japanese culture, so I made her's with the characters meaning, "Strength" and "Beauty". Faith likes anything personalized, and especially pink. She's a real girly girl. I am so excited with the way they turned out that I know these will not be my last. And next time I will try to allow for a little more time! My next sewing project is to make a seat cushion for my window seat in the kitchen. Fingers crossed on that one. I'm hoping to finish it sometime this month. Wish me luck!
10 comments:
Did you do the finishing quilting yourself, or did you have someone do it for you? If you decide to do more and you need someone to do the quilting for you, my aunt has a business where that's all she does, and she's right here in Riverview (less than 1/2 mile from me).
Hey, I forgot to tell you how pretty the quilts are. Good job!
Beautiful quilts Scarlet - oh ye of many talents!
Awesone job Scarlett. Please show me how. Be my sewing guru!
Melodie - I did the tie quilting method to save time. I am wanting to try machine quilting, but I need to get a different foot for my machine.
Julie - THANKS! I like to think I'm a little creative and crafty sometimes. I'm just really bad at time management. Still working on the knitting thing, though. I'll get back into it eventually!
Jen - I will be happy to show you! I was taught a very easy method for doing the top, and adapted it a little for my own design. I need to work on the actual quilting and binding part - I did it the quick (and not quite as nice) way, because I was so pressed for time. I am thinking of taking a quilting class soon - there is a Bernina Sewing Center right over in the plaza by Once Upon a Child, and I have heard good things about the shop, the classes and their products.
Scarlett, they are beautiful! I love handmade gifts and I'm sure your nieces will cherish them always.
thanks, Heather!
Those are awesome. I miss quilting with my grandmother. She was a pro. I had a chance to do a quilt with her a couple of years before she went into the nursing home...it was made of material that she used to make my clothes when I was 6-7 years old.
My great grandmother made every quilt that my dad ever used until he moved out of his parent's house. We still have some of her fancier ones in storage, but I remember using some of the "everyday" quilts when I was little, and I was always amazed that she MADE them.
Post a Comment