Monday, April 6, 2009

I apologize...

... to anyone who has actually checked my blog in the past few months. I have been really bad about keeping up. My friend, Julie, suggested I just post a status update (a la Facebook) every day and that would get me back in the swing of things. I've been contemplating doing that.

So where have I been??? Nowhere. Seriously. I've been right here. I am just really lacking motivation these days. I have plenty of excuses. See that floating baby up there on the right? That's my biggest excuse. He's been causing me plenty of trouble lately. That's right... HE is causing me trouble. We found out that we will be the proud parents of THREE little boys by the middle of July. We're either geniuses or completely insane. I'll let you know which next year at this time. Most of you who read my blog already know everything I'm reporting right now, but just in case I've been bad about keeping up with you, and you actually have the patience to come back and check my blog, I thought I should give you the scoop. Long story made as short as I can, after I conquered the morning sickness (sort of), my doctor tested me for gestational diabetes. I failed the 1 hour test, but passed the 3 hour test. Thinking I was in the clear, I started doing a happy dance and dreaming of all the Easter candy that I would be able to eat this year. And then my doctor dropped a bomb on me. Seems as though I just barely squeaked by the 3 hour test. Soooo... My doc put me on the diabetic diet (no fun at all, and no Easter candy whatsoever) and ordered me to repeat the 3 hour test at my next appointment. That appointment is tomorrow morning. Basically, for those of you who don't know, it involves not eating after midnight tonight, drinking a disgusting sugary syrup (that feels just GREAT on an empty stomach) and then getting blood drawn 4 times over a three hour period. My doctor has assured me that I will not pass this test. So why am I taking it? Because my insurance company will need proof that I am diabetic in order to pay for all the additional care that I will need to make sure the diabetes isn't affecting me or the baby. Gotta love those insurance companies. They'd rather pay for a $600 test than take my doctor's opinion (and my elevated blood sugars - I've been testing them, so I already know it's a problem) and save me the trouble. Whatever.

Oh, and did I mention my other little venture? Since things are a little tough right now in my industry (architecture), and I basically have (gulp!) no work to do, I've decided that the time has come to actually take that last big step and get my license. Actually the timing had more to do with NCARB (National Council of Architecure Registration Boards) than it does with my lack of work. It's another long story, but when I started taking my exams in 2001 we were using a version of the computerized exam called 3.0. Last July, NCARB changed over to a new version called 4.0. This new exam consolidates the 9 tests that we were originally required to take down into 7 exams. In switching to this new format, they have given us "oldtimers" a year to either finish up or transition to the new format. Unfortunately, not many of the exams in the old version translate directly to another exam in the new version, meaning I would basically be starting over if I don't finish in the old format.. And that would mean that I would lose most of the 5 exams I've already taken and passed. So along with being sick and doing little diabetic science experiments, I've been studying and taking exams. I've taken two in the past month, and I have two more to go, hopefully finishing up and becoming a real live architect (with credentials!!!) by the end of May, beating NCARB's deadline (and my own baby "deadline") by more than a month.

That's what I've been up to. I am going to make a concerted effort to keep up with this blog a little better. Maybe even post a picture or two! This week, Hayden has spring break, and it is a family egg-stravaganza (har har!!!) for us. My in-laws are here right now, and are staying through tomorrow afternoon so I can go for my 3 hour test without having to entertain two little boys. Thursday, my whole family will come to stay for Easter weekend. I'm sure I'll have plenty of pictures to post after that.

3 comments:

Heather said...

glad to see you back to blogging. Good luck tomorrow with the test. I know it stinks!

Aunt Karen said...

Good luck with the tests...so happy to get your update...I've been checking your blog each day wondering how things are going with you. Congrats on another precious boy. Have a wonderful Easter weekend with the family. Love You All!

Melodie said...

Well, it's about time! LOL!

I was wondering why you were suddenly taking all of these tests. I certainly wouldn't choose to take important tests while dealing with "mommy brain," but it all makes sense now.

Yoga Pose of the Day