Thursday, November 4, 2010

The age old question...

...What's for dinner?

I've been a housewife, stay-at-home-mom, domestic goddess on and off for 8 years now. You'd think I would have the dinner thing down to a science, right? WRONG! Every day, without fail, I am at a loss as to what I should make for dinner. I actually really like to cook, and I think I'm pretty good at it. I have little failures and recipe disasters every now and then, but for the most part, I'm a pretty good cook. I'd say better than average. So why is it such a huge deal to figure out what to make day in and day out? I know there are some women (or men - I'm really not sexist, I just don't have one of those men that cook) that have the entire week planned out. They plan the meals, go do the shopping, no muss, no fuss. And I also know there are women that sort of fly by the seat of their pants, maybe shop a few times a week or every day, but can always come up with something by dinnertime and it's no big deal. I am neither of those women. I've tried meal planning without success. I really want to be good at it, but I'm not sure it fits in with out lifestyle. It seems like a lot of unplanned events come up at a moments notice. And we're not home every night. Our kids have activities and that sort of messes things up. So what to do? I really have no idea. This is not one of those blog posts where I've come up with a solution or I have inspiration. I really have no idea what to do. I feel like this is something I need to find a system or solution that works for me. I hate feeling disorganized (even though I am sometimes), and that's what it feels like. I think it probably goes back to me not being able to make decisions. I've always struggled with that to some extent. And my husband isn't much better. Unless he wants something very specific, when asked what he would like for dinner, the answer is inevitably, "I don't care." And that's not a lie. He eats just about everything, and whatever I feel like making is really okay. As long as there is meat involved. That's another story, but I'm okay with that.

So..... what's for dinner tonight???

4 comments:

Julie said...

I have a hard time with meal planning too. I have never been good at it, but my sister is the queen of meal planning, I don't know where she got that from! I wish there was a class or a book to get me going!

Scarlett said...

What is she doing that we're not doing? Let's think on this, Julie. Let's figure it out!!!

Julie said...

I will interview her and let you know!

Scarlett said...

Thanks, Julie!!! I can't wait to hear.

Yoga Pose of the Day