Do you know that song?
Jon Denver?
"Country roads... take me home... to the place... I belong... West Virginia... mountain mama... take me home... country roads"
Did you know that song was written about the place where I grew up? Apparently, Jon Denver was cruising around with a bunch of hippies (possibly in a VW bus?), driving through the mountains, along the Shenandoah River near Harpers Ferry, when the song was written. The hippies later claimed that they wrote the song and Jon Denver ripped it off. Hmmm... Probably true. No one will ever know, I guess.
When I was a little kid, I HATED that song. As a West Virginian, you hear that song every time you turn around. And it's not a really COOL song like Alicia Keys and Jay Z singing "New York State of Mind". But now that I'm older, and much sappier, apparently, I have a real soft spot for "Country roads". When I hear it, it reminds me of home, back in West Virginia, and sometimes makes me a little sad since I am now living 900 miles away.
Tomorrow afternoon, for the first time in a year, I am going home to West Virginia. I say "home", but home now is really Florida. I've made a life here. We're raising three kids here, we have a bunch of friends here, we love our small town... this is home now. But West Virginia will always be home for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment