Is there such a thing? Everyone's probably heard of a renaissance man - a man who has knowledge in a wide range of subjects - but I've never heard of a renaissance woman.
I think I want to be her. I want to be the original renaissance woman. Maybe I already am.
I'm already an architect, trained, licensed, the whole she-bang. And I'm a mom - I guess I'm sort of a pro at that (if there is such a thing) since I have three kids now.
I want to be more, though. Not that those things aren't enough, and my plate is very very full at the moment. But I've found, especially over the past several years, that my interests are so widely spread. One thing is not remotely connected to the next. One minute, I think to myself, "I would LOVE to have my own cupcake bakery." And the next, "I would LOVE to go to school to become a doctor of Chinese medicine."
HUH? No, there really weren't any thoughts in between. The next moment after that, I might be feeling crafty and want to do a stained glass panel or a water color painting or maybe then learn a new cooking technique.
I am all over the place. On one hand, I think that sounds like I'm very scatterbrained, and I lack focus. I will be the first to admit that I am a little scattered these days. But on the other hand, I think it just means that I'm interested in knowing a lot of stuff. I want to be the resident expert of lots of different things. Not a jack of all trades and master of nothing. I want to master all sorts of things. And I think I am capable.
The real trick, though, is developing those interest while also balancing all the other stuff that I really HAVE to do in life. Ideally, one of those interests would turn into something that makes me some money, but would the other things then fall by the wayside? I don't know.
So that leaves me with my original question. Does the renaissance woman really exist? I sure hope so!
No comments:
Post a Comment