Sunday, January 13, 2008

Bo Luc Lac - recipe 1

Well.... I was way too excited to wait any longer. After searching the 'net for recipes yesterday, I decided to start testing today. Dh decided that he couldn't take three takes on the same recipe in one day, but he could take three in one week, so that's what I'm doing this week.

My first try at Bo Luc Lac was pretty tasty! I would give it an 8 out of 10. Dh said he'd only give it a 7, because he likes his beef cubed and not in strips. HUH? Whatever. I did what the recipe called for, and I don't think that would have made much of a difference. It wasn't like our favorite Vietnamese restaurant's version, but it was very good. In a different way. Not as saucy. I did change it a little... I used a yellow onion instead of a red onion (red onions are too strong for me when they're uncooked), I used less oil that was called for, and I used the lettuces I had on hand instead of the chicory and watercress. I also added cucumber and tomato, cuz that's how we roll. Here are some step by step pics:

First, marinate the onions in the dressing of garlic, vinegar, olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper:



Then mix the sliced beef with garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar and pepper and let sit for 30 minutes.



Meanwhile, prepare lettuce(s) and toss with onion mixture. Arrange on serving platter with cucumbers and tomatoes. Then heat oil in a large frying pan, throw in the garlic, throw in the beef, stir fry quickly for one minute and pour the whole thing on top of the salad. YUM! We ate it with white rice, cuz that's also how we roll.


You may have noticed that I forgot to take the picture before we dug in and started eating. I'm new at this!!! I should have taken a picture of Isaac inhaling the beef off the top of the dish!

4 comments:

Holly said...

Mmmmmm, sounds yummy!

Heather said...

Looks tasty!

Karlise said...

Too many onions for me! I could eat the beef though. :)

Scarlett said...

You might be surprised with the onions - they weren't "oniony" at all since they were sitting in the dressing - they were sort of pickled.

Yoga Pose of the Day