Thursday, February 7, 2008

working girl

I am going back to work. Well, not actually going, but working nonetheless. After a little fiasco with our mortgage company, we now owe $1100 more per month on our mortgage. Quoc makes a pretty good salary, and under a normal housing market (he works for a residential developer), he makes pretty good bonuses. But having said all of that, even in the best of years, $1100 per month is sort of a lot to try to squeeze out of your budget, and since it is not the best of years, things are going to get very tight very quickly. So after some careful consideration (and a lot of prayer), I got in touch with one of my former co-workers to see what the work situation is at my old architecture firm. Shortly thereafter, I got an email from her, saying that she has spoken with one of the partners (the one who once told me that if I would come back, he would let me have his office space), and he wanted to know when I could start and how many hours I could work. So it looks like I did the right thing. I will be working about 20 hours per week from my home office, and making trips into the office (in Channelside) occasionally to pick up work, drop off work, or for project meetings. Fingers crossed and lots of prayers for me (please!!!) that this works out well for our family.

10 comments:

Karlise said...

Sounds like a great opportunity Scarlett! It's perfect since you can work from home too...that is if Isaac will let you. LOL

Heather said...

Wow Scarlett. I'm sure you were torn, and I'm sorry you were sort of forced into deciding, but it sounds like things are working out in your favor! Sounds like it's the best of both worlds (some extra money, but you really won't need to put your kids in daycare)! Good luck!

Holly said...

Good luck!

Karen said...

Wow, that does sound like a great opportunity. Congrats and good luck.

Melodie said...

Congratulations, Scarlett! I'm glad you found a good solution to your mortgage issue and that you still can stay at home. Plus, it can help you to get your skills back up to par in case you decide to go back full-time once the boys are both further along in their education.

Scarlett said...

Thanks for the well-wishing everyone. I think it will work out well. I worked for them from home before, shortly after Hayden was born, and it worked out okay. Isaac takes a 2 hour nap every day, and then there are the evenings and weekends to make up the other hours. I told Quoc that he will be on serious "Daddy Duty" to keep the boys out of my hair while I work. What I really like about working from home is that I don't have to get dressed up to do it, and I can charge my boss a lot more than if I were working in the office since technically I am a contractor and not an employee. ;)

Scarlett said...

It's really going to cut into my TV time, though! Maybe I should reconsider... ;)

Anonymous said...

Great news Scarlett -if you have to go back, that's the way to do it! I hope it works out well!

Stacy said...

Good luck!! I'm glad you can go to work in your PJ's if you want to!!LOL

Kandee said...

IT's great to hear they'll be letting you work from home....what an ideal situation. Good luck.

Yoga Pose of the Day