Wednesday, February 6, 2008

funny story...

I mentioned the other day that I am a finalist in the Taste of MiraBay Cookbook Recipe Contest that will be held this weekend. I'm really excited. But having said all of that, I almost didn't pick up the phone when the lady called to tell me that I was a finalist. Not because I didn't recognize her name, but because I did recognize her name.

Back in October, I had a little Halloween party for Hayden and Isaac. Nothing big, just a few little friends so they could wear their costumes one extra time (I worked really hard on Hayden's costume - he NEEDED to wear it again!), have some junk food and play some games. In the middle of the party, someone comes to the door. It's a lady that I've never met before, and she's standing on my porch with a big handfull of weeds. I open the door, and she basically starts yelling at me for some of our guests parking in the driveway next door to my house. You'd think it was her house, right? Wrong. It's my neighbor's house whose husband is a Marine Corps general. They are stationed in California currently, and were in Hawaii before that, so she told me that I should use her driveway whenever we had guests and needed extra parking. So this lady is totally chewing me out, saying that she is friends with my neighbor (her husband is retired Marine Corps) and that she told her personally that only MY cars were allowed there and no one elses. All of this in the middle of my kids' party. So I calmly tell her that, no, she didn't have the facts straight, and no, we weren't moving any cars. She said something about not being able to park her own car in the driveway, because she was trying to go over there to pull weeds. Uh, whatever. So she leaves, but the party is temporarily disrupted, and I have to explain to our guests who the crazy lady on my porch was.

So when the phone rang on Friday, and I saw her name, I almost didn't pick it up. But I did, and the conversation went something like this:

Crazy Lady: Is this Scarlett???
Me: Yes, it is. How can I help you?
CL: I'm sooooooooooooo glad I got in touch with you!
Me: Uh, okay...
CL: YOU have been selected as a finalist in the Taste of MiraBay Cookbook Recipe Contest!
Me: Oh, that's... great!
CL: I hope you don't mind that I got your number from the club. I told them it was an emergency.
Me: I guess it's okay.
CL: So, you are a finalist in the following categories... (and she proceeds to go through how the contest will work and what I need to do)
CL: You know, I can't believe I don't know you! You must be a lot younger than I am, because none of my friend knew who you are, and we're a bunch of old ladies.
Me: Oh. I've lived her for almost two years. (trying not to say that I know who SHE is)
CL: So where do you live??? I still can't believe I've never met you. (uh-oh!)
Me: Well... I've actually met you once.
CL: Really???
Me: Uh, yeah, I'm Pat's neighbor. I live right next door to her...
CL: (silence)
Me: I'm at 416?
CL: OH!!! Now I know exactly who you are!!! (mmmm hmmmm)
Me: Yeah.
CL: Well, Congratulations, Sweetie, I know you'll do great in the competition!

As sad as it is, I really LOVED that silent moment on the phone. She has since been very nice to me - she's actually emailed me a few times. I'm wondering if she learned a little lesson there?

4 comments:

Melodie said...

Too funny!

Working Mama said...

this is one reason we should all do our best to stop & pause before we insert foot in mouth...it all ends up coming back to you! Isn't that a funny thing. I'm sure she's gonna be your BFF now!
Andrea

Kandee said...

oh my gosh, that's too funny. If she's still miffed, then all these niceties are for show. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out from now on.

Holly said...

That is so a Desperate Housewives scene! LOL

Yoga Pose of the Day