Friday, January 18, 2008

MTAOVC - Bo Luc Lac - Take 3!

Last night was the final installment of the Bo Luc Lac series. It was good, but definitely not my favorite. More onions for you, Karlise! So I think the second version definitely won our votes as the best of the three. I really liked the pickley onion dressing from the first recipe, though, so I think I might try one more time and see if I can somehow incorporate that part into the second recipe. Quoc doesn't think it will work since there is the oyster sauce in the second recipe - he thinks it will be too much of a contrast in taste - but you never know until you try, right? So here's how it went down:

Same old, same old:

I marinated the onions in just rice vinegar and pepper this time:

I marinated the beef in TONS of garlic, sugar, salt and fish sauce:

Added the onions to the salad:

And finally cooked the beef and poured it over the whole thing. OOPS! I forgot to take a pic before we started eating! (those are Quoc's chopsticks perched on the edge of the bowl)

I still didn't get the pan hot enough before cooking the beef. I guess I need to just be prepared to burn it and it will turn out okay. LOL! Oh, and one last pic... We couldn't make it through all these meals without this little guy:


My trusty rice cooker! We've had this one almost as long as we've been married (10 years in August!). A little worse for the wear, but it's still going strong. Seriously, though, if you don't have one of these, you NEED one! Rice cookers are the best - perfect rice every time, and you don't have to measure. We use the Asian method of determining how much water: You put the rice in and then add water until you can stick your index finger in, putting the tip of your finger on the top of the rice, and the water reaches to the first joint in your finger. You can also steam veggies in there and cook other things in there like oatmeal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are the kids eating this each time you make it? What do they think of basically eating the same thing?

Scarlett said...

Hayden has tried the beef two out of the three times and claimed he didn't like it. He usually eats this when my MIL makes it or in restaurants, though. Isaac has inhaled it all three times. So I guess they don't mind because I don't make them eat it. I'm one of those moms that makes something different for the kids - otherwise Hayden wouldn't eat anything at all. He's so stubborn.

Yoga Pose of the Day