When I got up this morning, it took me a while to remember that Bitty had died in the wee hours before I went to bed. It didn't occur to me until my father-in-law said, "Scarlett, this fish don't look good. Uh-oh... I think he dead." Oh. Yeah. That. So I took Hayden in and showed him that Bitty had, in fact, died, as I predicted a couple of days ago. Hayden's reaction? "Oh! Let's go get another beta!!!" The poor kid was crushed. So I said, "Hayden, what would you like to do with Bitty? Bury him like we do people when they die, or just drop him in the trash can like Daddy does when his fish die?" Hayden opted for a little fishy funeral, held at the corner of our front planting bed in our jammies. I dug the little hole with my gardening trowel, Hayden dropped Bitty in, and then I asked Hayden if he wanted to say anything. Here is how Bitty's funeral service went:
Hayden: Dear God... Mom! You have to say it too!
Me: Dear God
H: We're really sad that Bitty is dead.
Me: We're really sad that Bitty is dead.
H: But we're going to get a new Beta soon. Maybe today.
Me: Let's talk about Bitty, okay?
H: Oh.... Huh?
Me: How about, thanks for letting us have Bitty for our pet. We've really enjoyed having him in our house, and we hope he's happy in fishy heaven.
H: Sounds good! Can I cover him up now?
Me: Yeah. Bye, Bitty. We'll miss you.
H: Bye, Bitty!
On another not-so-good note, Isaac has been feverish and sluggish all day. He hasn't done much but lay on the couch, lay on me, and drink juice all day. Poor little guy... And he doesn't want to take any Tylenol, which makes it worse. I've bribed him into taking it when he needs it, but it hasn't been fun. He just keeps saying, "Mommy, I want you. Hold you." I have no idea what his fever could be from at this point. He has no other symptoms. I've asked if anything hurts, and he just says, "My fever hurts" and points to his forehead. My mother-in-law put vinegar on his back. No idea what that does, but she wanted to help him out, and he sort of liked it. Now he smells like a little salad.
1 comment:
RIP Bitty. I hope Isaac feels better soon!
Post a Comment