Friday, December 19, 2008

doctors doctors and more doctors...

I've had a cold for the last week and a half. So I guess this all starts with me. I can't really take much, so I've just been muddling through, hoping it goes away quickly.

And then Isaac got it. Within 24 hours, he was wheezing and breathing really hard and fast (and waking up in the middle of the night, screaming, "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!"), so I knew he'd have to take a trip to see his doctor. That was Friday. Oh, and did I mention that he threw up all over himself and his car seat on the way to the doctor's office? Yeah... that was fun. I'm not good with vomit on my best day, but with the morning sickness... it just wasn't pretty. So Isaac's doctor diagnosed him with a cold and put him on breathing treatments every four hours. So this is what we were doing all day Friday and throughout the weekend:





He showed marked improvement by Sunday, so we ended up going over to Orlando to meet Quoc's parents and his sister for lunch and to give them some stuff that they left at our house. Shortly after lunch (while we were at Quoc's sister's house), Hayden started running a fever and saying he wasn't feeling well. So he took a 2 hour nap on her couch, and then we headed home - none of us feeling all that great. Both boys slept all the way home.



Monday morning, Hayden still had a low grade fever, so I kept him home from school. Later that morning, Hayden is yelling for me from the bathroom. I couldn't understand what he was saying, so I went in, and he says, "Mommy, there's blood in my poop." Yeah... I knew he had been having a little blood when he wiped for the past couple of weeks, but this was actual blood in the poop. So I called the doctor's office, and his doctor called me back herself. She said she needed to see him, so we took him in. She asked me (and him) all sorts of questions and then took a look at his butt. She saw a little irritation, that could have caused a little minor bleeding, but she still referred us to a pediatric gastroenterologist to be sure it wasn't something more serious.



Tuesday morning, it was off to my OB's office for my first appointment. I was laughing at the nurse that was going through my medical history. She just kept saying, I just can't believe everything that's happened to you!!! I'm like, "yeah... I have complicated pregnancies and deliveries..." My doctor came in to talk to me, asked me some questions, and said, "So are you pretty much flying on auto-pilot?" I said, "Well, there's not much for me to get too freaked out about this time. I've already had so many complication that I'm not sure there's much you could tell me that would surprise me." He just laughed and said, "Let's go do a sonogram and make sure we get your due date right." So we go in to do the sono, Isaac is positioned where he can see the TV screen, but not really what's going on (with the trans-vaginal ultrasound), and what does he do? He gets up and walks around to get a better look. LOL! So the nurse was really good. She ushered him back to his seat and talked to him until it was over. Here is Baby Truong's first picture:

Just a little bubble - the baby is too tiny to see much detail on a level 1 ultrasound right now - but all is well, and my official due date is July 17th. Oh, and I took this picture this morning:

This was the nurse doing her best not to bruise me while she was drawing blood. I told her not to worry - I always bruise. Looks like I was right. It actually looks a little better today...

So then comes Wednesday. I had to pick up Hayden up from school early to take him to see the ped. GI doctor. So we start describing his symptoms, and the doctor looks at me and says, "I already know I'm going to have to scope him." So he does his own exam and then sends in the nurse with instructions to go in to St. Joseph's on Tuesday morning for a colonoscopy. Hayden will be knocked out of the whole thing, so the actual procedure is not a big deal. It's the preparation that I am worried about. For the two days before the colonoscopy, he can only have clear liquids. And the day before the procedure, I have to give him laxatives once every hour until "his stools are running clear". Lovely. I actually have a meeting early that morning, so Quoc will be starting the whole process. Poor Hayden. Please keep him in your prayers as he is getting ready for the procedure, and that the procedure is actually a big waste of time. I'm nervous as to what they could find, but I'm trying to stay positive.



1 comment:

Debbie said...

Please post once you get the results...Him and your entire family will be in my thoughts...It's so hard to watch our little one's go through medical problems. Hopefully, this is just an irritation of some sorts that just needs time to heal...

Yoga Pose of the Day