This evening, I will have a "first". I don't think I've had one of those for a while. I'm a little nervous about this first. This is something I totally thought I'd NEVER do. And no, it's not quite as exciting as skydiving or bungee jumping or something adventurous of that nature, but in a way, those things would make me less nervous because you know exactly what you're in for. I'm not sure how to prepare myself for this one. I've googled and read some things, but I still don't really know exactly what will happen. Or if it will be a positive or negative experience. I'm hopeful, but still a little freaked.
This evening, I am seeing a chiropractor for the very first time.
What do you think of that???!!! Sounds harmless enough, right? Well, in my head, over the years, I've seen chiropractic medicine as sort of a "voodoo" science... I'm picturing some sort of witch doctor contorting my body and snapping my head around with all sorts of pops and cracks. You know... you've seen it on TV or in the movies. In a strange way, it almost makes me think of those televangelists that smack people in the head and say, "BE HEALED!!!" Intellectually, I know that none of this is really the way it is. I think. So why would I even think of going to see this crazy person who is going to do unspeakable things to my body?
Because I am DESPERATE! I am in pain. I should preface that last statement with saying the I know pain. I was a gymnast for 7 years (both competitive and non-competitive), then a cheerleader for 5 and later on a marathon runner. Oh, and I've given birth by c-section twice, among several other painful procedures directly related to those surgeries. So I know pain. But this is different. This pain is not going away. It doesn't help to position myself in a different way. I can't take any medication that really helps. I can't sit, stand, or walk without significant pain. So when a friend suggested seeing a chiropractor, I looked into it. And the more I looked, the more it made sense that one of these "crazy" chiropractor people might actually be able to help me. I even found one (thanks to my friend, Andrea) that seems to be rather gentle, and specifically enjoys working with pregnant women! I'm still nervous, but optimistic. Who knows... maybe I'll even be a convert after this. No matter what happens, I am going in with an open mind. It's worth a try at this point, having had no relief from the pain in my hip since Saturday. AND my regular OB doctor even recommended it.
So here I go! My first time... Wish me luck!
3 comments:
Good luck. I hope it works for you!
Good luck Sweetie. I hope you are pain free this evening. Let us know how it worked out for you.
I didn't realize that you were so apprehensive about it. I'm glad things went well for you, and hope that you can find the right amssage therapist to take care of your muscles.
Post a Comment